This is a photo of The Richmond Hill Library
located on the corner of Hillside Ave and Lefferts Blvd. The Building
was helped built by Andrew Carnegie.
In 2006, the Richmond Hill Children's Room and Young Adult Area were
renovated with a generous gift from Ann Flowers and the White Flowers
Foundation "in gratitude to the Richmond Hill Children's Room for
one child's never-forgotten love of books and learning."
Visit the Friends
of Richmond Hill Library
|About the Richmond
118-14 Hillside Avenue
Richmond Hill, NY 11418
From the Friends of Richmond Hill Library
The Richmond Hill Library was founded by the
Twentieth Century Club on April 8, 1899. It became part of the Queens Borough
Public Library in 1901. In 1905, the present Carnegie building was opened
Mural- The 160 foot mural, "The Story
of Richmond Hill," was commissioned by the WPA's Federal Art Project and
completed in 1936. It was painted by Philip Evergood.
Queensmark Award- In November 1996, the
Richmond Hill Library was honored with the Queensmark Award. Established
by the Queens Historical Society, the award recognizes structures of outstanding
historical and architectural merit throughout Queens.
Rose Garden- The Rose Garden on the grounds
of the Richmond Hill Library is a three time winner of the Mayor's Community
Beautification Award and was recognized by the American Rose Society.
1999- The library commemorated its 100th Anniversary during a
week-long celebration on April 10-16. The Post Office presented a special Postmark in honor
of the occasion.